Thursday, December 4, 2008

17 alpha hydroxyprogesterone

So I started my 17P shots today, and truthfully it wasn't as bad as I had thought it was gonna be. The actual needle part I barely felt, but I could feel the hormone going in, it was a weird sensation. Afterwards I had a brief moment of light headiness, but after it passed I was fine. If you don't know already the progesterone shots are to help keep me pregnant longer. With my history of preterm labor this drug was recommended because it has a great success rate in helping prolong pregnancy in women that have a history of early births. Justin was 4 weeks early and Nickster as most of you know came 6 weeks early and spent his days in the NICU at Vanderbilt. I was told on my first exam with this baby if I opted not to do the shots this little one would come before 34 weeks, and I DO NOT want that. So Joe now gets to give me 19 more injections (1 per week till my 36 week) in my booty.

Also today we had our quad screen. The quad screen test is a maternal blood screening test that looks for four specific substances: AFP, hCG, Estriol, and Inhibin-A.

AFP: alpha-fetoprotein is a protein that is produced by the fetus
hCG: human chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone produced within the placenta
Estriol: estriol is an estrogen produced by both the fetus and the placenta
Inhibin-A: inhibin-A is a protein produced by the placenta and ovaries

By checking the levels if they are off, either high or low can indicate certain neural tube defects or downs syndrome. We should have the results either Monday or Tuesday. Please pray all the test come back normal. I swear if this test comes back fine and our ultrasound in 2 WEEKS :) comes back great I will be able to breath and finally enjoy this pregnancy. For some reason since day one I have been worried and not able to just sit back and not stress.

Speaking of 2 WEEKS I can not wait to see our baby. Everyone keeps asking are you excited to find out the sex of the baby. A big YES to that one, but more than that I just want them to say baby is measuring on time and is perfectly healthy. For some reason though I have this gut feeling baby is gonna be shy. If not and we get the "toilet shot" Joe and I haven't decided if we will be spilling the beans right away. Since our ultrasound is exactly 1 week to the day from Christmas we are tempted to wait and make it a Christmas surprise, but that's only if I can contain myself..lol

No comments: