Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ultrasound Update

Well our great news is that babies level 2 ultrasound scan came back clear. The doctors said her heart/bowel/spine/etc. all looked good! We had a rather eventful appointment yesterday, our regular 15 minutes turned into two hours. First off my blood pressure was alittle high. The doctor thought it was probably due to being alittle worried about getting the results back and so she wasn't too concerned.

Then our regular pee in the cup came back showing I was still really dehydrated and also besides spilling the keytones I was spilling some blood also. She said it was probably do to an infection (kidney/bladder/something) and so she sent off a more invasive test on that.

After that we went over some concerns I had been having (not feeling the baby move much, etc) so she did some more test and exams and also sent us for yet another ultrasound to check babies fluid levels. Good news is I am not leaking amniotic fluid, and the ultrasound showed baby swimming in perfect amounts of fluids. Oh and the little heffer has switched back to the frank breech position again with head under one rib and feet under the other and her butt down in my pelvis.

We also started a new test this visit. It is called a Fetal Fibronectin test. Basically its a test we will do every visit from now on till baby is born. It detects if there is any presence of fetal fibronectin (a protein produced during pregnancy and functions as a biological glue, attaching the fetal sac to the uterine lining - The presence of fFN during weeks 24-34 of a high-risk pregnancy, along with symptoms of labor, suggests that the "glue" may be disintegrating ahead of schedule and alerts doctors to a possibility of preterm delivery.) So basically if the test ever comes back positive then that means I would more than likely be going into labor within a two week period. If its negative we can relax and are pretty sure baby will not come within 2 weeks of the test. This along with the 17 Hydroxyprogesterone shots will hopefully help us bake this baby a long time. If it comes back positive before 36 weeks I will be treated as if I'm going into labor and get steroid shots, go on bed rest, etc to help keep me from having the baby early.

And the last thing for the day was some blood work. She sent off blood for two different things. One testing to see if I ever got the fifths disease the boys came down with about a month ago. If I did they will monitor the baby via ultrasound to make sure she stays healthy. My doctor also sent blood off for anemia. Well that one came back already and level 35 is considered anemic, with them worrying at levels 30-32, well I came back as 31.5, so now I have these new horse Iron pills I get to choke down no matter what. She is going to check my levels again when I go back in 3 weeks. But she said that explains the dizzy spells and exhaustion I have been feeling the past few weeks.

So I guess you could say Joe and I had a rather interesting appointment yesterday. We are so happy that our baby girl is looking healthy. I'm on meds for the infection and the low iron. I will update as soon as I hear from the fifths screen test. And also I have an amazing OB that is determined to bake our baby to full term..lol So that's about it.. HUGS

No comments: