Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Little Butternut!

So I finally got started on making Emily some baby foods. I had planned to wait till she was five month old before starting her on them, but she has shown so many signs and seemed very interested in food that I went ahead and started her. So for her first meal I made butternut squash. She LOVED it.. I even had to "thicken" it up because she seemed frustrated with it when it was super runny. So how you might ask am I making her meals. Well here is how I made her first batch. I also have made some sweet potatoes for her. Can't wait to see what she thinks of them, they were her brothers FAVORATE food as a baby!

Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees

Cut butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds

Place halves face down in a pan and cover with an inch of water
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes to 1 hour - be sure the “shell/skin” puckers and halves feel soft then scoop squash “meat” out of the shell
Place squash "meat" into your choice of appliance for pureeing and begin pureeing.

Add FRESH breastmilk or water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin consistency.
Puree


Place in ice-cube trays.


Freeze! Once Frozen place in plastic freezer storage bag.

And what did miss Emily think of the final product....
I think she approved!

No comments: